R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Aaron Waldron
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Scott Fisher
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
ahsikes - Now's the part where I try to talk you out of a CV-R...for around the same price range, you can get one of the Adam Drake Edition motors. I ran the CV-R for years before I started racing for Trinity, so I know what they're like. The carburetors are great, but I did have bearing problems with them.

The Drake Engine carburetors are right up there with an O.S. carb...I'm not kidding. I haven't had a bearing failure yet, and I think the motor is a lot easier to drive faster with. It feels like a loud electric motor, very smooth and linear. I always felt like the CV-R was a little peaky on top and flat on the bottom.

mafia - I think they'll have a .12? I haven't seen the motor run (except on that cool animated movie, haha) so I have no idea how it's going to work.

arushmen - Anti-squat is the angle of the rear inner hinge pins in terms of the ground..the higher the angle (front of the pin is higher than the rear) the more anti-squat.

More anti-squat will give the car more forward bite, and make the rear end lock up more on acceleration. This will take away on-power steering. More anti-squat will go through square-edged bumps better, and it will jump higher (not always a good thing).

Less anti-squat will squat harder on acceleration, give more on-power steering, and go over rounded bumps better. It will stay lower over jumps, which can get the car back on the ground faster, something I prefer.

Kickup is the relation of the front inner hinge-pins to the round..more kick-up will usually go through bumps better and jump better.

Kick-up also changes caster, which is the relation of the kingpin (the hinge pin or screws that allow the steering knuckle to turn left and right). More caster is when the king-pin is leaning further back..more caster will steer in harder but have less steering coming out. The opposite can be said for running less caster.

Mugen's short springs allow you to run a lower ride-height but still run some pre-load on the springs. If you don't load the springs a bit with the pre-load collars, the car can feel mushy.
Aaron, I am going to ask you to explain a theory or two since I disagree with you on anti squat.

More rear anti squat means the car does not squat as much when you are on power. Less weight transfers to the rear of the car. This should give more on power steering as you have less weight transferred to the rear of the car.

Less rear anti squat means the rear of the car squats more under acceleration. This raises the front end up. This should result in less on power steering.

At least that is my understanding.