R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ceramic Bearing VS Normal Bearing
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01 PM
TitaniumR
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by soc123_au
Beat me to it

I have Acer ceramics in my JP (.21) are they any better? I am not sure, they are as good as standard, but I havent noticed any noticable performance gain. I am hoping the longevity factor makes them worth the coin. I have also used acer ceramics in my NTC3 & they were awsome, I could always win the how far can your car roll on its own contest. Didnt make me any faster on the track but. I need some bearings that are magnetised to follow the perfect line around the track
Hi SOC and all,
Just want to share a little of what I think.

I worked a little bit selling ceramic balls for bearings about 5 years back. Balls are mostly Silicon Nitride- one of the hardest(meaning brittle, less tough than steel). What we do is pack the powder and sinter(heat to about 1800deg C if I recall correctly) to fuse them and then polish them into balls. The races have to be steel(softer than the ceramic balls) otherwise all will break into pieces. I think this has not change much. Yes they do have slightly better coeficcient of friction than steel balls and last longer(10x because ceramic is harder) in high speed application like dental drills -40000-60000rpm which will eat up steel balls very quickly.

So where there is impact and shock, steel balls(softer than ceramic and tougher) might take the abuse better. My FX-21-03 comes with ceramic bearings, break in properly, ran 7 tanks after that and there was some play on the crank. If I continue, it might be a disaster. I've since changed to standard bearings and has been working well. I have also not notice any performance difference between ceramic and steel bearings.

So I would still think quality steel bearings makes a decent deal here in our sport and will not rob you of competitive edge against ceramic ones - save the money for something else unless one has a fat budget. Sorry if I offend anyone.