R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 PM
YoKoMo-MX4
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 12l4newb
anyone have a reply on a way to hold the batteries other than tape?
There really is no better way to hold the batteries. It might be possible to find some Velcro straps that would work (try http://www.penguinrc.com) but the problem I've experienced with that is the Velcro cannot hold tight enough and often sticks too far below the chassis. This can cause some crazy handling when the Velcro contacts the racing surface. I tried a Velcro setup, but went back to tape ... quickly. You might want to look at trimming the chassis to make taping easier. I chose to make a mod to my YRX-12 that made taping 1000x easier. The trick was to cut a small slot between the T-bar and inner cell slot (I think I read that here somewhere...) thanks to whoever posted that one.

From what I can see from photos of the 12L4, taping should be a piece of cake (front to back, no t-bar in the way). One trick that may help is to cut the tape longer than will be needed and fold over 1-2 inches of it to make a 'fishing lead' ... this can help you get the hang of how the tape will behave without the annoying stickage-at-the-wrong-time. Once you have the tape wrapped around the cells securely (1.5-2.0 wraps minimum), cut off the 'fishing lead' and enjoy your nice taping job. To remove the tape: cut it with a hobby knife between 'cell pairs' (in split pack configurations), unwrap it and remove it 'out the bottom' of the chassis.

Originally Posted by 12l4newb
does anyone sell foam bumpers already cut for 1/12 scale cars?
Yokomo, CRC ... probably a dozen others. No matter what brand you get, you will most likely have to do some trimming to get clearance where needed. I use a Dremel and a medium-coarse sanding drum. Works like a charm and with a bit of practice can produce a perfect fit. Warning, Dremeling bumpers can get messy.

'nuff said,
MX4