R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Orion goes Li-poly.
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 02:41 AM
e_lm_70
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PitCrew
If it took 6.8 volts to accellerate to x mph, than no more than 6.8 volts could be generated by the decelleration from x to 0...
I don't agree, and my mesurement with a DPR-100 prove a different story.

I have seen a regenerative breaking of 12.5 Amp with voltage up to 12.7V under brake (with free wheels) ... this was using a 3S Lipo as source ... 12.7V is over the max Lipo voltage for a 3S Lipo.

BTW at the moment I'm not 100% sure if the regenerative breaking is cause a higher peak with free wheels of on the ground, since the energy is more on the ground, but the chnage of RPM is not as brutal like on free wheels.

e_lm_70

P.S: One other advantage of standard NiMh ... if you short by accident the pack for 0.5 seconds ... no relevant damage is cause to the pack ... if you do the same with a lipo ... your lipo is demage for ever !
I do use LiPo in all my airplanes ... I do like lipo in my 1/18 cars and 1/8 motorbike ... but for 1/10 car (that are not for experiments) I do prefer NiMh or NiCd since I can abouse of them without any mayor consequence !

PS: If you have to go for LiPo and BL in a 1/10 car, it is far more effective use a 4S Lipo, then a 2S Lipo ... power is Volts * Amps ... but as many amps you use are less efficient is you power block ... so 4S Lipo with 14.8V is by far more efficient then any 2S Lipo set up.