R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best Lubricant for Bearings?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 07:44 AM
koabich
Tech Master

I love hearing people compare these car to the cars they drive every day back and forth to work.

There is no where near the load, the weight, the wear, the heat (should I go on) or the power in these little electric RC cars we run compared to real cars.

Keep stuffing your RC car bearing with 5w-30 or Mobile 1 (by the way, I wouldn't run Mobile 1 in my real car ) motor oil. Your bearings may last forever but you are making you batteries, your motors and your drive train work harder to spin them...making your system less effecient.

And by the way, would you rather forsake speed and effeciency for longer lasting bearings? I would rather have a fast car and have to replace a $1.00 bearing once in a while than have a car that's not as fast as it can be. Do you think if you use a lighter bearing oil that your RC car bearings will just automatically sieze up and stop working?

By the way, I run Acer Ceramic bearings in my car. The only oil I use is Acer SIN Oil. I only clean my bearing 2-3 times a year at the most and have never had to replace one single bearing. The oldest set of bearings I have is in my TC3 and they lasted over 3 seasons without having to replace one single bearing. This is a testiment to their high quality oil, their seals and their bearings. Trinity Royal Oil is another that is perfect for bearings as well

But then again, maybe poorley made bearings with terrible seals require you to use the thicker stuff just to keep them spinning.