R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trinity Reflex 12 Forum
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 12:12 PM
squarehead
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

No, I can assure you, as the son of a hyper-meticulous machinist, there is a definite problem with the tolerances on the hubs. There is a visible wobble (eccentric) in the right side diff hub without the wheel bolted up. Visually, the left hub doesn't even spin around its own center. Besides the fact that the fit of the parts is loose everywhere there should be high tolerances, and that is just poor QC with the company doing the machining. When parts that should fit precisely do not, you will always have imperfect assembly. With CNC parts everywhere in the R/C industry, there is no excuse for poor craftsmanship.

However, with a little futzing with the wheel screws, and using different torque on each screw, you can get the wheels to spin true. One good impact, though, and everything will all be out of balance again. The sandwhich spacer used on the TRC wheels doesn't work with any other wheel brand anyway, so that is definitely not the problem. If a rotating CNC machined part has a visible hop in it, I don't need to put it on a surface plate with a dial indicator to be able to tell if it has rollout or not.

I really like the car, the design and the ideas in the Reflex. The execution and quality control in the machined parts that leaves a bit to be desired, that's all. It's nothing that can't be fixed.