R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Factory Team TC4, rugburned, shunned and laughed at???
Old 10-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Jeel
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As a racer in the Northeast where we have some tracks that produce good onroad numbers (40-50 club race) and we have some very good sponsored drivers (Stormperson being one of them)...I sit in the middle of the pack (ok, maybe towards the back end of the middle lol). Some days better others. I can get serious for two weeks and then be forced to not race for four weeks, etc due to work commitments. That being the case, I can't afford to run a car where a replacement car may be due out in the near future.

So, I was one of the first to run out and grab a FT TC4 to replace my aging XXX-S, due to the fact that I expected this car to perform better and to be around for a decent amount of time. BTW, I was able to beat some Xray and Corally guys with my XXX-S and I assumed that the switch to the TC4 would only decrease my times. Although the car is good, I must honestly say it is in my humble opinion not great when you are racing against tough competition. The quality is just not there...the shock towers move as if they’re on a swivel! Ya ya, I hear the TC4 die-hards, glue 'em but the end result is the same.

At the same time, a local racer who I have beat for years both onroad (approx. 2 laps) and offroad ( approx. 1 lap) switched from his current ride to an Xray and substantially improved. HONESTLY, he has closed the gap to half a lap onroad (where I admit having good Xray setups available to him helped more than anything), but still! I was floored as I was that guy who felt like it is ALL driver. I still feel that way, but a solid car definitely goes a long way.

Long story short, I am sticking with my TC4 FT. I am committed to this car until I can devote more time to my racing but when I have that time, I am making the switch. Every tenth of a second helps and the middle of the road racer needs that help as much as anyone.