R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF415
Thread: Tamiya TRF415
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Carl Giordano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

MSX Chassis modification – Foam Carpet Racing only

I started to convert a standard 415 to the MSX chassis for carpet racing and noticed the chassis flex everyone is talking about…the only reason I purchased the MSX conversion is for the easy diff access and it looks cool!

I decided I needed to incorporate the chassis stiffeners from the standard 415. The modifications make the chassis super rigid, perfect for foam carpet racing.

Parts needed:
1.) Standard 415 carbon fiber chassis braces FR/RR and side tube posts.
2.) 0.3mm shims (2x)
3.) 1.0mm shims (2x) – silver ones used under the toe blocks
4.) 0.7mm shims (4x) - silver ones used under the toe blocks
5.) 3x10mm screws (4x)
6.) 3x14mm screws & stepped spacer (2x) – both are from the standard 415, used to bolt down the old top plate to the steering posts.
7.) Dremel Tool / Large sanding drum / cut-off wheel
8.) Dust mask for all the carbon fiber dust

Directions:
Front:
1.) FR standard 415 carbon chassis brace, (part #1) cut the portion of the carbon fiber by removing the front camber link holes and the front bolt holes used to mount the plate to the old bulkheads. Use sanding drum to sand / shape the plate as desired. EYE BALL your cuts, and carefully remove just enough material to allow the easy removal of the front diff without having to remove the chassis plate. You want to keep the mounting holes for the chassis posts and the rear facing holes to clamp to the steering rack.
2.) I also tapered the top of the chassis brace so belt would not rub. This is not necessary but I did it anyway.
3.) Mount the MSX top plate, using only the front screws.
4.) Now mount the modified chassis brace, under the belt. Bolt it down (part #5) to the outside chassis posts first.
5.) Place the 0.3mm shims (part #2) between the MSX top plate and the modified brace (holes above the steering post.) This will take up the pace between the to two carbon fiber plates.
6.) Use (part #6) 3x14mm screws & stepped spacer the bolt the modified chassis brace to the steering post. This will clamp everything together, nicely.

Rear:
1.) RR standard 415 chassis brace, (part #1), remove the camber link holes and shape brace so it rests flat on the MSX rear alum top plate. Sand enough to clear the 4 screws on the rear shock tower which holds the rear diff.
2.) You need to taper the carbon chassis plate so the rear belt does not rub. - IMPORTANT
3.) Mount the brace on to the alum top plate using 3x10mm screws.
4.) Use the 2x 0.7mm shim (part #4) and 1x 1.0mm shim (part#3) on each side between the outside chassis posts and the modified brace, clamp down with 3x10mm or longer screws.

A picture is worth a 1000 words so I will get the photos up tonight…I just could not wait to share the info. I was up for hours last night hacking away at this. What a huge difference

If your unsure what to do, hold off until you see the photos, it will make a lot of sense.