R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - JACO tire news
Thread: JACO tire news
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Jack Rimer
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Actually, there's another way to look at this entirely, despite the all foam construction of the tire, it's still one layer of foam covering another layer of foam, meaning that second layer "Caps" the first. The Champs has a long standing rule in place that states "NO CAPPED TIRES or coatings of any type" It doesn't have a special clause for foam capped foams, just NO CAPS. If we wanna use that long standing rule then there was never any question that they aren't legal.

Traction compounds are not a coating, but rather a chemical agent that is applied to the tire to soften, (or heat) it. They are applied and wiped off, or allowed to evaporate to dry, thereby not an actual coating, more of an additive.

Technically the tires weren't legal last year, especially for stock since they weren't widely available, should we disqualify our winners from last year and declare the runners-up the Victors? Nahhhh, that'd be a bit extreme, let's just say that Jaco slipped one by us. Shame though, we coulda gotten all this outta the way last year, and then they'd be legal by now.

Now we've all been running 3700's and 3800's at EVERY non-Roar sanctioned race this year. Ya couldn't run 'em in FLA at the On-Road Nats, so were all the Pole Position guys standing around whining about that at the Nats? I doubt it, because ROAR says they aren't legal.

The race director makes the rules, period. This rule was set, and notice has been given. You coulda all just shown up and been told on the spot, THAT woulda been the biggest help to the races sponsors, as they'd be there with BOATLOADS of their tires, and all you guys whining would need something to run. And at least at Cleveland you can count on the rules being the same from the day you get there 'till the day you leave, unlike some other races I've had the privelege of attending.

Can't we all just get along?
1) Vegas was the first race to allow 3800's this year. They were illegal for the Reedy Race. I don't recall standing around whining about their legality at the ROAR nats. However, if they had run them last year and disallowed them this year....yeah, I would be bitchin a little. Same thing.
2) No one "slipped" anything by anyone. If you didn't know about these tires last year, you simply weren't paying attention. Nobody CARED because they didn't have a year of kicking ass behind them.
3) If our team showed up and found out at the race that the tires were illegal we wouldn't whine. We would simply overnite regular tires and proceed to stomp everyone like we have the past few years anyway.