R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC4
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM
DaveW
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JSAVES: Ok... i changed back to my original name and now i cant get to my DeeDubYa name... can you resend that last PM so i can have your setup info again? Thanks for your patience.

BOBBARRY: In the past two weeks i have done alot of thinking about the car. Im thinking the chassis needs to be lengthened, just under .090. (Kinda the reason i asked about the changes to the BMI TC4 chassis for comparison...) There is enough room in the cups of the main driveshaft to allow for the rear gearcase/motor mount/armblocks to be moved back, w/o necessitating a new mainshaft. Of course, the top plate would have to be changed as well. I think it would also be beneficial to move the entire steering assembly back .060 (geometry), but that would require the servo to be moved back, which isnt needed. I guess modifying the current "rack" is the option, or going back to the TC3 rack. Doesnt Jason drill the holes on the BMITC4 chassis for the TC3 steering rack? (??) The FT motor mount, at least the one that came in my kit, needs to be milled .020 on the bottom (and then shimmed on the top) to allow the layshaft coming out of the rear gearcase a 90 degree exit (or...parallel to the chassis). With everything bolted in place, it angles up, and if i relieve the tension on the front two rear lower gearcase/chassis mounting screws, the layshaft spins ALOT better, with noticeably less gear noise, and the angle is reduced. I even used calipers to measure different, new gearboxes to be sure there were no changes in the length of the mounting points. Everything else lines up perfectly. The issue is with the motor mount. It forces the support bearing in front of the spur too high. (Curiosity...has anyone else noticed this?) I also cut my center spine into two separate pieces... for one or two smaller mounted pieces to be moved forward and back with more adjustment than just adding/removing screws on a single larger piece. Moving one piece forward would add more rear flex, and vice versa for moving it to the rear. Both pieces would be similar to a full spine... ETC. The FT seemed really responsive to these adjustments. Im still a little "lost" in all the new possibilities the car offers. Its easy to dial yourself out by trying new stuff. Have you signed up for the Express race in NC yet?

- DaveW

P.S. Does anyone know of a company that makes 3 degree caster blocks for the TC3/4... or the XXX-S? I want 3 degrees w/o adding any angle to the front hingepins. 2 degrees pushes too much coming into the corner, and 4 degrees is just too damn agressive coming into the corner... for my tastes anyways.