R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Sanyo 3000HV cells!
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 05:30 PM
B3boy
Tech Adept

Default Charging Questions

I know you guys have probably answere these questions a trillion time before, but I really don't want to screw up my batteries cause I paid a ton for them. If it matters, I have an INDI 16x7 charger. I am currently building them so I haven't charged them yet.

I just recently bought 2 Integy 3000HV cells with 1.21 voltage. I am doing a science experiment on how gear ratios effect speed and acceleration. I have been doing a lot of reasearch on these cells, but everywhere I go there are different answers. So if you guys would clear a few things up for me I would really appreciate it.

What is a general amp range for charging these cells and how does it affect performance. I have heard answers from 4 amps, to 8 amps. I am not much of a racer, I do like going to them whenever I get a chance. So I am mostly concerned about a long life period, not maximum power.

What mv threshold setting should I use. Again, how does this affect the performance and lifetime of the pack. I have heard from 2 mv to 14 mv.

I discharge at 20 amps (Is that OK?). How should I store them for long term? I hear many places to put a half charge into them and you can store them for months. What about short term. I don't have a discharge tray, but my charger has the discharge function.

There are some other things that I just don't really understand. When my cells say that they are 1.21V, how much does this matter and what does it mean?

Here are a few thing that the box the batteries came in said.
Charge set: 5.o DS End Volt: 0.90 Dischg time: 547
Dischg Set: 20.0 DS end time: 375 Ave Dischg volt: 1.21

I sorta know what these things mean, but I don't know how it affects performance, run time, and anything like that. For example, what is the difference between DS end time and Dischg time.

One last thing I would like to know is why chargers say a voltage that is more than 7.2V. I thought that all packs had only 7.2 volts in them. I charged an old 1500 and it got up to 9.sumthin volts.

If there is anything else a newbie like me would need to know please tell me. I thank anybody who answers my questions.