R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 01:32 AM
redsand
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by TPhalen
Redsand: Usually we set the car up as close as possible to perfect. The radio becomes fine adjustments. EPA's are usually as high as possible, with EXPO's adjusted according to track conditions (loose track, adjust either the throttle (smoother throttle) or steering (not as much throw or speed).

Most of it though IS personal settings. My of my cars are set up to be somewhat smooth into corners. That let's me drive them harder than normal, if I need to. Others set their cars for aggressive turn-ins....allowing them to be aggressive ALL the time. I'm not that quick with my reflexes anymore to try to drive (competitively) cars like that!

Oh, ya, ran a 7turn brushless motor in my TC3 this weekend at the Camarillo HP race. Ummm, REALLY fast....
Do you mean lower numerical value EPA's ?
From what I've been told, most, if not all, the pros use less steering throws. (Mark Pavidis uses full 100% linear setting, while Saxton utilizes only the EPA depending on track conditions on their MP7.5s).
I figure that more steering throw would scrub speed at corners. On my TC3, I have +42 EPAs on both sides. The car was understeering at first,so I compensated that with the chassis setup (reducing the rear bite). Then I adjusted D/R from the driver stand after a lap or two. I leave anything else on my radio fully linear.

I believe chassis setup would be nothing if the radio is somehow mistakenly setup. Even, if two cars with identical setups, yet with different radio settings would sure react differently on the track. Radio setup is obviously the next important thing after chassis tuning.

That's why I eagerly am looking for as much info on radio setup as possible, since for most racers, it is the most neglected area on setting up and driving a car on the track. (in my early days of sedan racing, I was once told by an oldtimer to use higher numerical value + steering EXP if I approached a track that had a lot of chicanes - that way the car would be easier to negotiate the turns. Nowadays, I wouldn't take that advise anymore. If I want my car to be aggresive on the track, I tune the chassis NOT the radio).
I think you should provide some of that info on your site, Tony.