R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RDLogics Championship 2005 @ Revelation Raceway
Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 AM
ROARprez
Tech Adept

Default Thanks for the great tracks in LA

I would like to say thank you to both Dana at Revelation and James CP for providing two great tracks to run 1:8 and sedan fuel cars.

The RD Logics Race went very well and the track held up just fine at Revelation last weekend. The few complaints I heard came from the same people who seem to find something to complain about at any track we all race at.

3 days of racing with all the lunch food you can eat (pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers) with a race shirt at $65 is not too bad a deal at all.

I am suprised at the complaints being leveled at the tracks and the fact these are either manufacturer reps or sponsored drivers making these comments. One would think these guys would be supporting tracks that support the products they run and racing in general.

Every comment that was made in the original bashing post could be said about just about every track.

At times a shop does not have exactly the part you need, or the race fee seems high depending on your situation at the time. Traction changes for RC and full scale racing. The better racers adapt and do the best on the same surface everyone runs on. In reality tire wear at Revelation is incredibly low. The track is flat and smooth. For 1:8 scale we run on 70 or 71mm rear tires to start (typically 40 shore front and rear) the track is that hooked up. You can easily finish a 40 minute main on these tires. If you are using more than 2 sets of tires in a 3 day race there it is because you choose to do so not because tire wear forces you to.

We have all raced at tracks where tire wear is a huge issue and in a main you need to assess if you should try to make it on a single set or go for the tire change. This is not the case at Revelation or CP.

We are very lucky for what we have in So Cal as far as tracks and year round racing there are other states with no tracks for racing 1:8 on road fuel at all. We have a great variety between Southern and Northern California. We are in a unique and very good position for race facilities not not many places in the country has.

Complaining just for the sake of complaining or gaining attention gets very tiresome.

Supporting the hobby, the tracks and the manufacturers will help us all in the long run with ongoing facilities and products for us to run.

RC racers love to complain about costs but are more the happy to buy the latest greatest motor ($300 or more), tires ($25 or more), fuel ($25 or more), radio ($200 or more), etc. This has always been a very interesting thought process to me. About $22 a day for about 10 hours a day of being at the track plus free food doesn't seem like such a huge expense when you really break it down. What's it cost to go golfing for a day (or three), what's it cost to go out on a boat fishing, what's it cost to go to a 2 hour movie? I took my 2 kids bowling for three games each, with lane fees, shoes etc I spent about $50. We were done in a hour. But if bowling is your thing you happily pay what it costs to do it every week. Entertainment and hobbies have costs involved that is just a fact.

Is James driving the latest BMW from the race fees he charges, is Dana sporting the newest Mercedes. No these are both regular guys making a regular living and providing a great outlet for us to enjoy our hobby. But we want these guys to be successful at thier business ventures so they keep the tracks open. We need to thank the track host, shop at the track hobby stores and support the people who support our hobby it is up to us to keep these businesses alive.

Done with my rant.

Last edited by ROARprez; 09-27-2005 at 02:34 AM.