R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RDLogics Championship 2005 @ Revelation Raceway
Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Leo V.
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeffreylin
Having raced in different tracks in different countries, I have a few observation:

1. $15 for racing with hot dogs included is incredibly inexpensive. It costs more in Taiwan where everything is cheaper without the hot dogs.

2. While traction could be hard to figure out, it is great on the tire wear. I used the same set of tires for 2 weekend races in a row and only wore 2-3 mm. The three tracks I've been to in Taiwan are not VHT prepared (they've never heard of the thing) and you need to run 35 or 37. You typically use a set of tires to practice before race, 1-2 sets for qualifiers, and another set for the main. Tire wears between 0.7-1.5mm every 5 minutes. You have to start with 62mm rear for a 40 minute main or you'll have to change tire half way during the race. It gets very expensive.

3. Race programs are organized. In Taiwan we don't even get turn marshalls.

I suppose there's always two way to look at things. I am not saying there are no room for improvement, but at the same time it's not so bad either.
You're right about the $15 with free lunch. But since I've been racing there since the track re-opened. I've been eating the hotdog and burger only because I've paid for it. Just like in other big races that I've been to, I'd rather have a catering truck to buy from. and just pay for the race itself.

As far as traction, I'm annoyed for two reasons:
1. the fact that they just spray the track without finding out first if THE WHOLE TRACK needs spraying, or just some sections.

2. The fact that they are sprayin down the "traction" means that they can control how much traction to have. Why not make it good enough for the tires that we use on regular days or for practice.. It would be worth going to practice or set up for the race. We practice with 37 or 40 when the bite is low, then change up to 45 after they spray. WHY??? Why not make the traction good for 40? You almost never have to shore up at CP even after he sprays it. When the traction is a little low, his spraying works with and compliments the set up you're working on. At REV, you might as well redo the whole set up, including tire shore, tire size, sway bar, shock position, sway bar.

You would normally practice the day before the race, but it won't work because the traction in the morning would be different by noon, and drastically different after they spray later on in the afternoon. And no matter how high the traction gets by evening, it's going to be much higher come race day because they'll spray when they open the track.

The traction at CP and Rev used to be very close. No VHT. We used to just shake a few soda bottles, poke a few holes and spray CP with it, no different than the CP traction now. Set up was the same, you just change the ride height and minor shock positions. I used to just change the ride height and wing on my 1/8 scale. SAME TIRES