R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Does chassis matter so much ?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 PM
nikkor
Tech Initiate

Default Does chassis matter so much ?

I am really wondering here, does chassis matter so much in 1/10th Nitro racing ? Lets not compare this with real cars, because its an almost completely different matter althogether.

I currently view 1/10th RC road car chassis as a mere platform to bolt on an engine. All that trick suspension, all that carbon fibre are viewed as a feel good thing. I believe tyre choice, engine choice and driver skills are the most important, its 90% the above, 10% chassis. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The car barely rolls , barely uses its suspension travel on those smooth racing tracks. A car with a low CG, decent suspension (I would think elastomers over coil spring), good reliability would be enough. I believe the sponge tyre or the foams in a tyre provides most of the lateral movement in a on road low travel car, much like F1. A R40, MTX3, 710, V1RRR, OFNA will go round the track at the same time given the same parameters. Driver error/skill is such a big component in this sport that negates the other issues. Far more so than a real car.

I would like to hear your thoughts.