R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Carl Giordano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Perhaps the problem, for all of RC racing (I mean racing), is the lack of draw into our sport (RC Racing). I don't believe this is an Eight Scale only issue. It is nice to see Eight grow, I applaud the efforts and energies. But and this is a very BIG but, I maintain our hobby is shrinking because the scales that use to feed eigth scale are dwindling. When I visit the racing venues in our area, including off-road - I see alot of the same faces. I think we (Racers) through our National Organization, ROAR, need to develope interest in our sport - Many ways to do this - but - we need to focus on doing it.

I started in the 80's - Competition Plus was the mag to read (All about Racing: Jay Halsey, Cliff Lett, Magic Man and some dude named Paris). The Ranch was hallowed ground. Now, we have Car Action - Lord, How many Monster Truck parts need to be sold. The Point, here, is they (the rags) don't focus on racing.

The Spec or Sportsman Class will help draw "newbies" into our arena - I support this.

I am afraid in 5 years the youngsters will rather play with Electronic Games than join us - The Next Generation needs to know we exist. There are plenty of Dads who would love to get there kids into an enviroment of fun - and outdoors.
Rich is 100% correct....problem is the younger generation or generation "X" is growing up in the video game age...most of us grow up with PONG and finally Atari...but for us, most of us grew up as model builders / airplane guys etc...

The Magazine have nominal coverage, that's true...its the perception of RC in this country that is hurting us...I don't even dare tell people at work what I do anymore...I'm sick of explaining the difference between RC cars and radio shack cars.....to me, the RTR market has been the best thing for the hobby and the worst thing....

I used to sell parents on the concept, that purchasing a "kit" chassis and working with your kids in building the kit is an educational experience...Today, it makes no economic sense to do so...

I feel the manufacturer's need to get more involved in promoting the hobby...None of them spend any real $$$ advertising on a nationwide level, other than in our industry publications...

For example, RTR guys want to race, Bruckner has hosted HPI events for the past few years. Every year has had over 240 entries...Its nuts...Why???

Perhaps what we need to do is rethink the level of racing in this country... now I've gotten off topic...