R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New 1/8 on-road "XR8"
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
R40Victim
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"An RTR package maybe the long term goal of a "SPEC" class...Problem is when only one manufacturer is producing the vechicle, the interest is limited. I forget who produces the XR80, but if the manufcturer steps-up and sponsors a series of events throughout the US and worldwide, and it gains popolarity, perhaps other manufacturers will follow with something similar...but we the racers have no control on this. "

I aggree, and had hoped that the other companies would follow suit, with a low cost 8th scale alternative. The class is almost non-existant around here, and seems to be losing ground elsewhere. Every time I talk to another 10th scale racer about upgrading to 8th scale, they all say the same thing, love the performance, not willing to pay for it. The XR80 is a great and simple solution. Shallow pockets can pick up the RTR alot easier. As far as mods, those 2 XR8s, the Mugen and the other one, were all pretty equal, so these guys who pick up a cheap RTR and then mod it, won't have a really big advantage.

"Now if someone produced a rolling chassis / engine / pipe config...and all you need is your radio....that would be something."

They do... the XR80 RTR. That cheap AM radio costs all of $45,( a very small percentage of the total cost) and as I'm sure you're aware, you can very quickly slap in your own control system. I keep pushing this car because it could very well, help to salvage the class. I've proven to myself I don't need expensive equipment to be competitive, and at club level, it's more about fun, than competing at a pro level...

"Were not stuck with the exotics...we all have them and are looking for ways to reduce the cost of what's now been raced throughout the US. "

I didn't mean to sound like they're price gouging[can't spell], they're just out of alot of people's reach. I just couldn't justify to myself $1100-$1500 for a new car. Granted, the used ones are around, but I hate dealing with other people's problems. I'm sure alot of potential 8th scale people feel the same way...

I really do hope we can get the prices down, you'd think that the companies producing them would want to sell more. I understand it costs $$ to produce these things, but I feel like the profit margin is a little high on these particular cars. The ultimate truth here is, "Whatever the Market Will Bare"...

Nobody got back to me on that motor's cost, can't be too much. Also, because there are a few other XR80s and XR8s as well as a few other brand cars around here, I doubt that spec class would work, at our club. Nobody wants to buy another motor. I personally, don't care though, I'll race those guys with my RTR motor any day.(I'm second in the points series, so it can't be too slow )

I like the spec idea for one reason, to promote the class. But, the other guys have brought up several valid points, and I have to aggree with some of them. If it were up to me, there would be RTR versions, similar to the XR80, produced by each of the other companies. That way, people wouldn't scoff at Power Racing, and cry foul on the other's 8th scale price tag. It's a hard sell to the eletists, they want to keep it exclusive. I kinda understand, on low turn out racedays, we often combine classes. I've actually run my XR80 in Novice 10th scale nitro touring!!! But I had a blast doing it...and otherwise, my car would catch dust...wich is what I fear for many 8th scale racecars...