R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE questions
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Darth Vader
Tech Addict

I may make a few enemies by saying this but I know a lot of people will agree with me. Anyway, I think it is a reasonable piece of advice.
Forget CEN and forget Toycity if you're gonna stay in this hobby. The only thing decent they have in terms of proper r/c cars is probably Tamiya.

You can get an RTR 1/10 GP on-road car to start with. But in my opinion, you'd be better of with a decent 2nd hand car/engine combo. Keep a lookout in the for sale thread and you can see a few useful ones.

Hang out at tracks and hobby shops. I wont say which one here. If you want my personal opinion, PM me. They all carry decent brands and they are all very helpful towards beginners like you, so don't be afraid to ask questions. After all , it's your money.

Just some basic stuff. (1/10 GP on-road)

1) 1 car-tank(75ml) of fuel lasts about 5~6 minutes. Costs ~RM25 to RM30 per litre(1000ml) depending on which brand you use.
2) Tyres cost ~RM100 for 3 pairs. Will probably last ~10tanks if you drive carefully.
3) Other wear and tear parts include gears, drive belts, engine, beariings, bodyshell etc.
If you crash too often, then more parts to be changed lah...

There will be a big race in Alamanda shopping complex in Putrajaya tomorrow. Come and have a look. Hang around and speak to people. See what car models are present and do some research on the different models.

Last edited by Darth Vader; 08-29-2005 at 10:47 PM.