R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8-Scale Buggy Shootout
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 01:30 PM
W.E.D.Jim
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Derek,
I think we're talking about similar stuff here. The only thing that bothers me in a thread like this is the assumption because we're a magazine we don't know what we're doing and you shouldn't listen to what we say. The rest of the discussion is fun stuff.
Imo, The people that rag on the mag the most are "usually" the ones who don't have nearly the ability of the people involved in the magazine and definately not nearly as much ability as the manufacturers they also tend to beat on. Armchair quarter back syndrome I guess...."It's always easier to tell someone else how to do things than it is to do them yourself"(a quote from upper management, LOL). You guys do a great job in the magazine, imo!

I will say that almost every car on the market is a decent car in some respect, wether for it's value, pedigree, reliability, etc. Most of the more expensive cars obviously have factored in for the exchange rate, or can charge more because they have won enough races for people to accept the pricing. Possibly those same companies also have the bigger budget for the best drivers, which helps with the cars perceived capability to win. "Almost" always those same cars include premium materials.

There are always exceptions, but when I can get bearings wholesale from suppliers in different stages for either $.80 each or I can buy the premium bearing for $4.00+ each, this has a profound effect on final pricing....a kit would require either a $12.80 bearing set or a premium $64.00 set(@ wholesale), that alone is a $50 difference in the "cost" of putting together a kit.

Take X rays XB8 and XB8R for example....The "R" version has a street price of $495, but the XB8 a street price of $700+. The difference is costs savings for the manufacturer......Same good car, same exchange rate, same potential results.

Brady, that is the beauty thing about our sport/hobby.......Each person can decide what is best for them. I am involved in 3 business's to support my habits, aka, hobbies and family. I just made the decision that if i'm spending $1500+ in support equipment, i'm obviously not concerned about saving money..although it's nice to say it, if I meant it I wouldn't race 1/8th scale......., Jim