R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
squarehead
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I'm always wound up about how I paint my own cars. I can never do anything for myself that I am happy with, but I can crank out cool lids for others when I need to. I always said I'd just as soon run an all white car to take all of the stress out of painting my own stuff. I wanted to do something different from what everyone else seems to be stuck on these days (read: Hara-esque). I decided that this winter, my cars are going to resemble some of the greats from Can Am and LeMans of the 60s and 70s. Wait until you see what else I have in mind for later this winter.

picco007: Its a straight Protoform Speed 12. I have a couple other different bodies here to play with, mostly open cockpit, but to get my feet wet getting back into carpet racing, I figured I'd go for something that everyone seems to trust.

factory racer, out_to_lunch & others: Guys, I have been out of carpet racing since the early 90s, and off-and-on with road racing for a few hours here and there since then, and this winter, I decided to get back into it with a track close to home that promises some good racer turnouts. I carefully planned out a mode of attack with literally everything to buy for R/C racing again.

I have two suggestions for anyone looking to jump back into it.

1) Buy the best gear you can afford, the first time, so that it is the ONLY time you buy that item. Starting over again, EVERYTHING I had in the shop was obsolete. I decided that if I were to race again, I'd do it right the first time. Do it right, or don't do it at all, right? Don't be affraid to buy cars and parts here and on eBay. Careful searching and planning can lead you to some great items and great deals like the $65 CE PitBull charger or the $55 collection of 29 pairs of new foam tires. There are a few people selling their whole 12th collections, and it's a good way to jump in with both feet, and take a lot of the guessing out of what to buy.

2) Listen to everyone's opinions, and make the decisions on your own mind. All of the 12th cars are great cars, as they really haven't changed since they came about in the early 70s. It's low tech at it's very best. All of the cars out there can win with the right setup and right driver. Put your cash into the batteries and motors, and pick a car, they will all be supported, and any info you get here can apply to just about all of them.

Like I said, I have been away for a long time, with a lot of left-hand turns on the dirt in between, so this whole twisty thing is going to be like starting over again. My only goal is to have fun doing it. I hope that this class grows like it looks to have potential to do this winter. Get out there and join me tearing up some of these pretty lexan bodies.

See you guys on the track,

doug