R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Carl Giordano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Funny how everyone's cost comparisons pit the cheapest, least competitive 1/8 equipment against the absolute top-of-the-line 1/10 sedan equipment. 1/8 is vastly more expensive to get into and continue to run than 1/10 sedan. That they are starting to overlap on the low end of 1/8 and the high end of 1/10 sedan is more of an indictment against 1/10 than an endorsement of 1/8. They have both gotten way out of hand; it's just a matter of degree.

1/10 sedan started out as an entry level gas class. Very restricted engines, rubber tires, and other rules meant to keep costs down have one by one been chipped away at until the original intent has been diluted.

So the answer now is a 1/8 "spec" class??!! My how things have gone full circle. 1/10 sedan was an answer to rising 1/8 costs. Now that the gamesmen with the deep pockets have gotten their way in 1/10, the poor folks looking for relief (again) are looking for ways to make 1/8 "affordable". Why not just return 1/10 sedan to its original intent?
I disagree that 1/10th sedan was the answer to rising 1/8 cost...235mm 2wd was the answer, which was very popular. 200mm was first introduced as an RTR Kit (HPI). As a result of the HPI popularity, all the other manufacturers stepped up and introduced 200mm chassis's to the racing scene, which eventually replaced the 235.

Most 1/8th racers who feel that 1/8th $$$ has gotten out of hand are not dumping all their stuff and running 200mm. They are being selective as to when and where they race.

Mike's right, slowing down 1/8th cars by running "SPEC" engines would save on $$$ on engines, rebuilds for engines, parts and most important tires...Combined this would reduce the racers total expenditures.

I will try to work with Mike and ROAR to develop some basic engine guidlines for a "SPEC" class...Perhaps some clubs will pick-up on it and it will gain in popularity.