R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Mike_Swauger
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Personally, the $$$ all forms of racing has gotten out of hand. If I'd have to guess, the electric guys seem to spend a lot more money just to remain competitive.

What we are seeing throughout the hobby is very few newbees...so those racers who are still in it are being selective as to when / where they race. As we all get older, family and work responsibilities prevent us from attending all the club event we use to.

Case in point: the 2005 Great Lakes Challenge...huge turnout for 1/8th, both masters class and regular class. Many of the drivers who attended the GLC are the same guys who travel to Vegas in the Spring / Winter Nats / ROAR Nationals / TX Biggie etc.....

My prediction for 1/8th is it is here to stay, those drivers who are commited to the class will stay with it a give-up on other types of racing...Prices for 1/8th tires are coming down and as more quality tracks develop throughout the country, the more these committed drivers will hang around.

IMO: 1/8th drivers are a close knit group of guys and will never let this class die down....

If ROAR wants to do something positive for this class. A "SPEC" motor class to be introduced, especially at the nationals. The Engine must RETAIL from the manufacturer for less than $500USD, which means the street price would around $300-$400. Every engine supplier has one, its just we elect not to use one...I bet if we had such a class, a lot of people would sign up for it.

Just my 2 cents
I agree 100%!
Robbie, Kris, and I were throwing some ideas around here and we were thinking about getting Crystal Park and Revelation involved in trying to get a "spec" class for 1/8th scale for the sportsman racers. We were thinking about making a class were you could only use offroad style motors. It would cut the cost of a motor in half and would slow the car down a bit thus saving the sportsman driver in parts and tires.

Just a thought...