R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
duneland
Tech Elite

1/8 is not cheap, but the costs are greatly exaggerated. I have raced all the MWS races in 1/8 this year. Alot of track time (potentially ) at these races---3 hrs practice on Sat am, followed by 3 quals, another hr or so practice on Sun am followed by 1/2 hr mains for everyone. If the track is fairly abrasive, I will start the main with a fresh or nearly fresh set of tires. Some tracks are far less abrasive. Bottom line is, tire wear is about the same if not less than 1/10. I have run both on the same track. 1/8 tires cost a bit more, but it is worth it!
The bodies on TC's are gay! Looks like something you should be car-pooling to work in. 1/8 bodies are racing bodies . Engine runs way cooler, much easier to re-fill tank, Clutches DO NOT wear-out faster than 1/10.
I run a XR8 ($399 map) powered by a Cippola (or is it Cipolla? I forget) which sells for $215, and the combo is very competitive. My rig costs less than many of the 1/10 scales.
I am seeing an increase in 1/8! I think that 1/8 racers tend to post less than 1/10.