R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 4wd prototype + BJ4 prototype at Worlds
Old 08-13-2005, 02:22 AM
TEAM-AE-4-EVER
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by o.s. power
I like the idea of that split center shaft on the bj. You could tweak it to make it work like a center diff on an 1/8 scale. Look at how the yok, bj and other cars are using 3x3 saddle packs like the xx-4, makes you realize that the xx-4 was 5+ years ahead of its time and was truly the best and probably is still the best 4wd available! The new prototype looks sweet. Some people have been critisizing it because the arms are short, but all the mass is in the center of the chassis. I know there is no other car that turns better and offers more steering than the jrxs. The same principals will aptly apply to this prototype. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the a-main. Will it win, no, but it will be in the a-main.

o.s. power - Don't be so quick to annoint Losi with their "innovative" 4WD.... the XX-4. It's a great buggy but it's far from original. Yokomo had 4WD kits using 3x3 saddle packs and mid motor layouts since the 80's and early 90's. If any car brought this design back at this point its the 2005 Durango which Hara used to desimate the competition at the World warm-ups a few months ago. He simply dominated! The competition learned quick (particularly the guys at JConcepts) who amazingly designed a winning car with hardly any practice or real race time to trump everyone else! 2 out of the 3 podium finishes is incredible (thanks to the amazing driving of both Ryans)!

Kudos though must go to Gil Losi Jr. for keeping the class alive when interest started to really slow down a few years ago. Great to see things are now back on track and that this year's Worlds has given the 4WD Class a HUGE shot in the arm which it badly needed!