R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Crashby
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by yellow15
Sorry to bring back an old post, but i just read from this site (http://wcrccc.v21hosting.co.uk/setup%20theory.htm) it says:

Also, the bigger he caster angle, the bigger the camber difference induced when the wheels are steered. This camber difference is to compensate for the chassis roll and tire squirm when the car is cornering. Hence, a lot of caster will provide more steering in high-speed corners, where chassis roll is more pronounced, and whilst turning in. It will also make the car more stable in rough conditions, and the car's straight-line stabili ty will also be improved. A small caster angle will provide more steering in low-speed corners, and less turn-in.

So my understanding is, castor will give you more camber in high speed corner and help steering

So with the 10 degree blocks, the castor DECREASE at high speed corner so it should mean turn-in progressively softer not harder?

I'm confused now
You’re close! The thing you forgot to remember is that under braking, with the 10 deg reactive caster blocks, the castor decreases when you are decelerating or applying the brakes because the front spring compresses. This reduction of cast will make the car turn more as the car slows down. Upon accelerating, the springs return to their uncompressed height and the caster increases again, making steering easier as the car accelerates.

If you look at a top fuel dragster, they have so much castor that sometimes when maneuvering in the pits, the wheels will flop over to one side or the other because there is so much caster designed into the front end. At 300 plus mph, you need all the steering you can get!

Clear as mud, huh?