R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF415
Thread: Tamiya TRF415
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 AM
junn
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Yup, a spool is a locked diff. Basically, it provides masses of on power steering (much more than a diff, and similar to a 1-way), as both wheels are being driven at the same rate, and as such if one wheel loses the traction, the other is still putting power down (unlike a diff, which in that situation would "diff-out" and have the tration-less wheel spinning away the power).
Another upside is that is gives the car 4 wheel braking, and as such makes it easier to drive, especially in close quaters with other cars.
The one downside is that they lack initial turn-in, as the wheels are both spining at the same rate. However this can be compensated for in suspension set-up, like softer front-springs, some pro-dive, lower front roll centre, or even running a light-weight spool (running an old speedtech spool, and the new tamiya back to back, there was a marked improvement in turn in. I've put this down to the 8 odd gram difference in weight... might not sound much, but it deffiently works!)

The alu arms are part of the pro-module setup, they are needed to give the clearance for the shock off the wishbone.
In the LWT set you get:
2 pairs of wishbone (1 front and 1 rear per pair)
2 sets of C-hubs (1 2deg, 1 4deg)
1 pair of steering hubs
1 pair of kingpins (upper joint, and lower piviots)
1 pair of rear hubs (1deg toe)
1 pair of complete front axles (steel bones, 46mm long)
1 pair of complete rear axles (blue alu bones, 46mm long)
8x 950 bearings for axles
Plus loads of shims and spacers, and the ball joints etc
I think thats it

HiH
Ed
thanks Ed thats awesome

I am looking at buying a used LW set from a forum member who used it once but is selling it and I just wanted to know whats supposed to be in there. He said $85 shipped with heaps of spares for the 415, does it sound okay?

Whats the part number for the tamiya spool? is it expensive?

I will have to look in spool setups abit becasue our track is very small and tight. At the last race I was using my old Pro 2 against a Pro 4 and I blitzed him on the straight but he was using a one way so in the corners my car had heaps of understeer and he just went on the inside all the time, will the spool be suited to small tracks or will it produce understeer as well? from what I have seen most purpose built tracks have long sweeping corners and are quite wide so in that respect a spool may be good, or am I wrong again?

thanks again Ed