R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spintec Battery Manager
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 09:31 AM
e_lm_70
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Erik Jonk
Furthermore, the Battery Manager CAN NOT overdischarge a pack. Firstly, there is a voltage monitoring circuit in it that makes sure the CPU has always enough voltage. If not the device will reset. Secondly, there are 2 systems in it watching over the pack based on actual voltage AND change of voltage.
As you said ... if voltage go below ... BatMan reset ... and as first thing it will try to discharge again the pack ... exactly was it was doing with my old Sanyo 3000 after resetting on the maintenance mode ...

So if nobody is supervising the pack, on cell can go in reverse !

As well assuming that BatMan is good to go to the edge of one cell reverse ... then if not unplugged quickly ... the little amp absorbe will cause to damage the weak cell.

What about add a little buttom in the BatMan in order to select the discharge end voltage ?

Isn't that Disharge down to 1V is more safe and still produce the same decristall effect ?

e_lm_70

PS: This BatMan is a good and ultra cool device ... but still could be improved !

PS From you manual:
"Displayed runtime is calculated to be equivalent to a conventional constant 35A discharge. This is approximately the time you could have raced on what was left in the pack, depending on circumstances."

You state:
To conclude, the relation between seconds and mAh is not related in the 35 amps factor because also the 35 amps current has a special shape for optimal decrystallization. There is no way you can calculate this without knowing exactly the current shape.

To me they are two different story , not compatible each other !

PS: I did make a test overnight with my training GP3000 Pack ... and in the morning the voltage of the pack was down to 4.8v ... it was left around 4h connected to the BatMan after disharge have been completed! Since it is a stick pack I was not able to check if some cells were in reverse ... but down to 4.8V there are good possibility !

PS: Positive thing ... after I have change the connector with a Deans one, now it is not happen again that a discharge cycle did abnormal terminate inside the final phase of maintenace.