R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Artificial-I
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Artificial-I,

The only reason I mention this is that JAG racing is a local guy that I have raced against many time. Until recently, I have out-qualified and out-raced him at many of the big track venues that we have raced. He has qualified me only twice at those same venues and it wasn't because of him trying to lighten his car. In fact, I out-qualified him at a local series race with my "pig" of a R40 to his "lightened" R40. It is just funny how many racers will go gray-haired, bald, or get ulsers worrying so much about lightening the car instead of working on their driving skills. For many that I see post on this thread, I don't see many posts about how it helped them improve on lap times, number of laps turned, going from the low mains to high mains, or going from the middle of the pack to winning on a regular basis. I am not meaning anything negative by my earlier post, just wanted to let some that are so concentrated on lightening the car to see that there is more to getting the car to perform than just lightening this or that. Just a side note, in Oct 2003, I qualified for the A-main at the HPI Worlds in Vegas with the same "heavy" R40 that I still race today. The only difference is that I am using a better motor than I did then, went to 50k/30k oils in the front/rear diff and sealed them, and change gear ratios to fit the track that I am running on (paid more attention to this). Oh, and I worked on improving my driving skills as much as I can.
Sounds like we have some local competition going on here,

Yeah I cant really speak for jag and his racing skills. But I dont think because hes not winning , doesnt mean LW parts in general are bad...lol.

Also I can understand the 2 year racing thing. Im also in my first year of racing. But ive been around the hobby a long time. Allthough im winning for my class for my summer series, lol. I wouldnt expect someone that new to perform well anyways.

How long have you been racing btw?