R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lrp brushless esc
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 03:35 PM
MrC
Tech Initiate

@billtc3
Adjust the timing on the motor to 6 and reduce the gear ratio a bit. I would suggest you start with 7,5 on a fast, big track and Timing 6. It will give you noticeable more midrange and toprange aswell.
Be sure to use the heatsink and ONLY attach it with the supplied double-sided thermal tape, when using the SPHERE in brushless mode. Do not use standard double-sided tape, as this will "block" the heat....I have seen it all......
If you are running at high ambient temperatures and the track is pretty hot (we are talking about 30°C+ and 55°C+ on the track) you MAY need an additional fan to cool down the speedo with the high motor timing. Other then that, the SPHERE should work fine without any additional fan.

@somerwil
It´s a pity to hear, that your speedo blew up. Please send it to your national LRP distributor, include the filled out Limited Lifetime Warranty card and you should get a new speedo as fast as possible.

@e_lm_70
Basically this is an additional way to increase motor power. As well as changing the timing by software with the ESC, it is still possible to change it by hardware also. As simple as that. It will move the power band of the motor more to high rpms.
Also "real" BL systems, as you call them, are not allowed to run on international races. There are rules for brushless racing and the SPHERE and VECTOR have been built to fit those rules. Although many "real" BL users think, that sensorless technology is the way to go, a sensored brushless system will outperfom any sensorless brushless system as soon as it comes to low rpms. Even the most sophisticated arithmetical equations can not match the reaction time of a simple hardware sensored system. What does it help to be TQ, if you loose your first place as soon as the race starts?

Sensoreless systems are also allowed for international races. So every manufacturer is free to choose. LRP and NOVAK have choosen to go the sensored way. I´m personally looking forward to see the other firms presenting there new systems. The next two years will be very interesting in regards of brushless racing.

Anyway, I think there is no point to discuss about apples and bananas. Due to the restriction of the international rules for brushless, there will always be other brushless system, no matter if sensored or sensorless, which have more power with those multi-pole, delta-wound low turn motors.

Cheers
Andy