R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:21 PM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
Why is a prototype car an advantage??? C'mon Derek now you're being silly. It's clear the FT TC4 is better than the tub chassis TC4. So they changed a lot of stuff on the cars during the race. Don't they do that every race so their drivers have that tiny advantage over their competitors?

Try this. Take Michael Schuamcher and put him in a Minardi. Let him put in as many laps as he can to get the car working the best. Now put him back in his Ferrari. I guarantee his lap times in the Ferrari will be 3 seconds faster than his laps in the Minardi.

Now, you and Michael meet at a go kart track. Same karts, same people help setting them up. No matter how much practice you put in, Michael is going to beat you because he's a better driver than you.

There are 2 things that make a racer competitive. His skills, and his equipment. (or hers, as the case may be) Without one, the racer is at a disadvantage to his competitors.
That doesn't make any sense. You're talking about some advatange having things that the normal driver couldn't have. A car is not that. If you don't see the disadvantage of having a car you got a day before the race then I don't know what to say. Driving makes the racer. Those who like to blame everything else but themselves I cannot help or reason with. Some people are just better. I think you're arguing some of the same things, but until you show me something where there is some huge advantage I don't buy it. And FYI I'm pretty sure only the Invite guys had the new car. I was the only person running it in the open mod. And I don't think it made me any better.

And to counterpoint again. I was running a brushless system that nobody else was...and that put me down even further. When I switch to a normal brushed motor I picked up about .1-.2 per lap.