R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - I splurged!
Thread: I splurged!
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Platinum_Racing
Tech Master

Default I splurged!

I went out and bought a brand new, O.S. .15 CV-X engine yesterday, and then had to go back for a flywheel and clutch parts. The end result is a G.V. Cobra, O.S. .15 engine, HPI flywheel, clutch nut, clutch pads, and clutch spring. Some may see this set up as "Mickey Moused," but I call it resourceful. All the parts were purchased new, and the engine has been properly broken in. The engine has an insane amount of low-end torque, and the clutch, when working properly, has great grab. This engine idles lower, and runs cooler than any other nitro engine I have dealt with before. The MACH .15 Dynamite I had in my LOSI, was easier to break in, but its longevity left me asking for more. The new CV-X starts first pull, is incredibly easy to tune, and is extremely forgiving with throttle inputs and tuning mishaps.

The Problems (Please Help!!): The only problems I have had are no fault of the engine. The rear diff is in need of attention, the Kyosho gas tank I am using has similar primer issues that the G.V. one had, and the clutch has gone crazy. The clutch has somehow gotton stuck against the clutch bell, so I have to pick the car off the ground and let the wheels spin freely in order to start it, then let it get momentum before setting it down or the engine will die. During break in, I was letting it idle, and the clutch made a loud screeching noise. I thought it may have been the crank bearings, so I killed the engine, but it was the shoes. Several times I managed to free up the clutch, and once again got the flywheel and clutch bell spinning independantly. but it would never stay for an entire tank of gas. When I slow down, the engine will die, and sharp turns kill it too. Whenever the car goes so slow that the gearing brings the engine below a reasonable idle, the engine cuts out. Could this problem be due to the bearings in the clutch bell? The other problem I had with this car was after the break in period, but still within my own, "Cautious Period." The antenna wire I soldered on to a reciever that had been damaged broke, and the car went screaming across the driveway, under 2 cars, and into my neighbors garden, full throttle. The car hit a tree, some rocks, and flipped, and when the engine died, I thought it had blown, because it was screaming so fast, it took one tire completely off the rim (and 2 feet away), and one half off the rim. Upon inspection, I found it safe to try it again, so I left the radio off, and turned the servo by hand. Like many starts before, the engine fired in two pulls.

Any comments or help regarding anything in this post would be greatly appreciated. The link to the car this engine is in is below. www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/SuperCobra.html