R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Artificial-I
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
The shock shafts are MUCH MUCH smoother than the stock items and are a tick lighter since they are hollow. The problem with them is that they have a slight amount of slop on the pistons for some reason (dunno why mayby machining tolerance issue) I had to use a 3mm shim to remove the slop. The shafts nitride coating makes them last far longer.

The graphite arms could be considered a must have in certain cirumstances. The stock rear arms only have 1 swaybar mounting hole. The graphite arms have two and the outer hole makes the car handle a whole heap better on higher grip tracks (more leverage). The front graphite arms are stiffer in circumstances where you are running with large cornering forces. The normal arms flex at the swaybar mounts quite a lot and can on fast and large tracks induce too much arm deflection making your front less stiff than you would like.

I have been running my R40 since December 2003 and my 2004 conversion since around March 2004 or so. I usually have 10-15 tanks of fuel at a track every weekend since that time with the car, every 2nd week is only practice and testing not racing. I run on concrete with rubber tires, a cracked and slippery parking lot a high grip parking lot and the 2006 worlds track. So I have quite a lot of testing on each circuit. I have tested all the option parts for the R40 and a multitude of fuels, motors, clutches, bodies, tire brands etc. All my setups are coming from my own personal preference for a feel in a racecar so it is impossible for me to say whether my setup is "better". From a purely results basis it is not.
Have the graphite arms held up well? Yeah I would have gotten the graphite arms first thing except for when I went to the HPI challenge the rep was saying they were found to be a bit brittle.

So I strayed from them...but I really dont care now I just want to stiffen up those arms.

Does anyone know if hara and thad use these or were they sticking to the plastic.