R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Corner
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 01:06 AM
King-G
Tech Fanatic

I really am finding it hard to believe that Toe out in bump will give noticable amount of steering gain, when you consider the following.

The Inner wheel (Unladen - closest to apex) has very little weight on it, and does only around 20% of the steering effort.

secondly the unladen wheel wont travel very far, hovering around neutral...it wont be in bump once the car transfers weight and sets...especially when we use 1-2 mm droop on todays T.C's.
If anything the perceived steering gain would come from the inside wheel kind of acting like a brake, as it scrubs beyond maximum useable slip angle.

How soft are your front springs to allow enough compression for the steering angle to actually change much?

I think the gain would come from initial bite from a little toe out as the nose dips slightly, but were talking about a pretty steep link angle for it to have an effect in the first 1-2mm of travel.

It may give a similar feel to reduced castor perhaps (at an extreme angle of steering link). so there is potential for initial steering gain, but I cant see how mid corner - exit would benefit.

Im going to test it this sunday, what the heck, it just darnt maken nun sense.