R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - help with discharge trays
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Tzsu
Tech Rookie

If your storing your packs on a tray why buy the Zero 30 or even the Zero 6? Doesn't the Zero-Equalizer do the same thing? Plus it is only $20 instead of the $70 or $33 it cost for the other ones. It is nice to know that people are pulling their packs from their cars and putting them strait into the Zero 30. I might look into doing this when I get a good matched set of batteries.

Is there anything wrong with discharging at 20a instead of 30a for Stock? Right now I have a 20a bulb discharger and a Zero-Equalizer tray. If this ends up being a problem I will use this setup for now, but when I purchase my new cells I will find a better solution like using the Zero 30. Most recommendations I have seen from battery manufactures say to discharge at the same rate that the car would when it uses the cells. The discharge rate varies based on track conditions (IE. carpet or asphalt) and car setup. 30a is basically the max discharge for the cells and going above that would overheat the cells quickly and could make them explode. The batman gets around the heat issue by discharging in cycles so that the cells won't overheat.

More is not always better. Finding the middle ground for someone who is going to sport race for fun and doesn't want to sink more money into the sport when they don't have too is the best option. I would be interested in an ICC charger if that ment I would spend less money buying new cells every few months.

Tzsu