R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ni-cd Cycling Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 09:31 PM
Impreza
Tech Addict

Default Ni-cd Cycling Questions

I have mostly 2400 packs, some matched and others not. Over the past 3-4 months they have pretty much sat there as I have been too busy with my nitro car. I ran them a few weeks ago at a race for the first time since carpet season. I was only able to cycle them each about 2 times before using them. They seemed to be really lacking in punch but for stock they did have the runtime.

I am wanting to get them back into good shape for getting back into electric during the winter. What would be the best way to do this? I have a Duratrax Intellipeak charger and an Octane 2 discharger. I tried the deep cycling function today on a pack. The initial charge went well, but in the 2 more cycles after that it was only getting up to 1200-700 mah before peaking and then discharging them. Now they are probably just false peaking because they have been sitting for so long, would that be right?

Is there some other way I should be cycling the packs? I have heard before that the discharger that is built into the charger takes the pack down too low and can damage it, but I don't know if this is true or not... Would it be best to just charge them up and then discharge them on the discharge tray instead?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.