R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Artificial-I
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
You got it Harry. People can get too obsessed with an ultra stiff car. I have done it myself before today and what you can end up with is a car that is VERY VERY darty and extremely difficult to drive.
Thats what I kinda figured. But the theory still is correct you cant tune the flex.

Im almost hoping my car does become darty. Cause them im going to tune to that and calm it. Also if it does get darty thats becuase its doing its job.

Now its almost like a personal setup. Some like this , some like that. Some oversteer , understeer and some nuetral.

Once I tune the car to the brace if it does get darty. The suspension should have a more efficient platform to work off of. Rather then soak up A. Road bumps + B. Chassis Flex = work force. The extra work force has now been cut out and not only thats its not a secondary force acting upon it. Flex is just like sound waves or any other waves. It comes in and travels through the car. At a certain point youll hit a bump and the car will immediatly detect it with the suspension and expand or contract. While that bump hits a wave goes through the car and probably after the car has taken the bump the wave gets to the top and probably causes it to counter that wave.

Otherwise if the chassis was stiff. The wave would die as it couldnt keep flowing. Basically think of a wave in water , now freeze the lake. No wave.

No think of the car going over the water....just use your imaginary rc float tires. Going over all those changing waves. Now freeze the water , now drive on it. Thats essentially what removing flex does just the opposite. It makes your car that is flexy and freezes it so things arent moving like water aka waves over it.

Just how Ive come to know cars. Why I like stiff chassis. Im guessing though there is a point to where the suspension cannot act on all the bumps alone and perhaps the secondary waves or flex help counter the bumps better. In this case it sounds like the suspension on our cars could be better developed for super stiff chassis platforms.

So with a little cost cutting they probably did envelope tuning towards using a more flexy chassis base.

But sounds like the pros dont use it and im sure there is some sort of handling or feeling that makes it worth to keep it stock. Even with all sorts of knowledge when it comes to full vehicle tweaking its still sometimes black magic.

Ask the formula 1 camps.