R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Does track surface influence tire wear rate?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:33 PM
PitCrew
Tech Elite

Well, I would say if we ran on ice, the tire wear would be pretty low, because its slippery.

ON a high bite track, like unsealed asphalt: tire wear is going to be greater.

That basically answers the main question.

Now, when thinking about temperature (not considered in the Ice track example) on a sealed asphalt track, it can play a huge role in tire wear when the actual "bite" of the surface really hasn't changed much. Incase you didn't know, sealed asphalt is a bit slick, unless prepped. We use grape soda, and it works very well. however, if the track heats up beyond the recommended zone for the tire, you can see dramatic wear in the form of blistering and peeling.

All things being equal, as in temperature of track, then which type of surface would cause the most wear on a tire? Well say the track temp was 95 degrees F, and we were using sorex 36's (which is about perfect for them) It is my opinion that of all the surfaces, the unsealed asphalt will cause the most wear. This is assuming that you had layouts that were the same, and even possibly had different set-ups so you could make the same corners at the same speed. (in this scenario we have multiple tracks of different surfaces layed out the same, and they are the same size-identical tracks, at the same temp) THis has been my experience running on the two different surfaces.