R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho v-one rrr
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Kyle Hazell
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kewdawg
I'm not saying they don't. But some of us like to put the blame elsewhere, before looking at ourselves. Each year, new engines come out, that require slightly different handling methods than the previous year's edition. Such as more time and fuel to fully break-in an engine. How many times have you heard someone say: Man - I put almost a gallon thru this engine and it's still not broken in, yet!? There was a time when six tanks of fuel were enough to seat the piston and sleeve. Now this is no more. A lot of us continue to use the old method(s) for breaking in engines - not to mention many different methods. Everyone has there take on how to properly break in an engine. Hence my, half-joking, previous statement about "user error".

We must remember: In mass production, you're definitely going to have some duds out of the THOUSANDS produced. I think this crankshaft issue falls under that catagory. I haven't heard anything in my region (northeastern US) about the crankshaft going, but I've heard about numerous carbs leaking (i've had TWO myself!).
Its pretty much common knowlege that these engines break the crankpin off. Simple as that.. We had a Worlds edition engine that was run in, did one race meeting with reasonable performance and then broke the crank pin off the next time it was run. I have seen many more that have failed in this way...

The thing to remember in all of this is Sirio (we all know who they are) are in their infancy, and these things are going to happen. Many people will remember the debarcle we all had when the long stroke engine was developed back in the mid 90's. I remember going to a major race meeting and hearing all the cheers as one after one they all detonated down the main straight..... from memory we all ran out of engines....

As for carb leaks, well our experience tells us when you get a good carby stick to it. Carbs are a bit of a lucky dip...

Sirio will fix this problem in due course. The quality of their work is second to none, in fact i think it has been adressed on the latest spec engines.

Regards

Kyle