R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Greg Anderson
Tech Initiate

Default Locked front differential

An idea,
I have a bad one-way bearing in one of my one-way differentials. I removed the bearings from the one way and realized that both sides have two bearings in them for stability and durability. I'm building a locked diff presently and an idea came to mind for the one-way diff to turn it into a locked diff. Take the inside bearings, or outside bearings (your preference) from each side of the one-way and flip them backwards so that each side of the one-way has a bearing that locks in either direction. Voila, a locked diff. This would lock both outdrives under power and off power, without the need of the over-tightened screw and extra heavy diff grease that many have been talking about. I guess the only question is will the bearings hold up under load now that they are no longer doubled up in one direction. I would have tried it, but as I stated before, one of my bearings is bad so I will have to get a replacement before I can complete it. I did put together one side of the diff and it works great. Just a thought, tell me what you guys think!!!!!

Greg Anderson