R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 09:09 AM
odpurple
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i agree that the ceramics are that much better, but are they likely to last at that state 5 times longer? Most ceramics are 4-5 times more expensive then SS bearings. so if the ceramics last you 100 race days. I can through out SS one every 20 day and put new ones in. so will the ceramics be smoother then replacing bears five time more frequently? also on the dif balls. they are like $8 for 12. I usually find them for like $6 per 100. that means if i use 6 in a diff, i can just throw out the diff balls 11 times more frequent then the ceramic once. so do the ceramic diff bals stay round 11 time longer then ss. on diff balls, i usually run them 1 month and then chuck them at big races at $6 per 100. I can change diff balls every race and still be ahead.

I agree that the ceramics are harder and there for last longer but 5 time longer on bearing and 11 time longer on diff balls. I have not found that to be true.

Also if you are not skilled at 1/12 you will blow bearings on the rear axel more frequently, so at least on the hub side, i would use the SS bearing at $1 until you are not tagging boards.
I mis-spoke when I said ceramics are better. I meant that they ROLL better. They roll better when they are new, they roll better when they are used. I have no doubts that steel bearings are cheaper, but if you get them from the right vendor they don't cost 5 times as much. When they wear out, I replace them, usually once a season-not so bad on the wallet.