Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 12:46 PM
Geppetto
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Smile Just got my XXX-S!

I haven't begun to build it yet, as I'm still reading and re-reading the instructions. I also haven't opened any of the parts bags yet, however, I have taken time to examine the chassis. My initial impression is that this thing is stiff. Much stiffer than my current Yokomo MR4TC Special and any of the other 8 or 9 kits I've owned. This stiffness should be a good thing for racing indoors on carpet (our season has begun). I also notice that the chassis (as other have mentioned) seems very heavy.

I've read that the graphite composite chassis is 1 oz. lighter than the standard chassis, but is it lighter because of the cut-outs in the chassis or is it because the graphite composite material is lighter? I was wondering if the standard chassis had the very same cut-outs, what the difference in weight would be compared to the graphite. It seems to me that this chassis can't get much stiffer, so what's the advantage of using graphite composite unless it lighter.

Likes so far:
- I love the fact that the front and rear diffs are identical (fewer parts).
- overall design (is there another kit that's as easy to maintain?)
- It looks like building this kit will take half the time required to build my Yokomo

Anticipated dislikes:
- kit included turnbuckles
- some of the replacement and optional parts seem pricey compared to other manufacturers
- I don't like the idea of having to use a "thread cutting screw" to aid in installing screws
- it may sound petty, but I hate the color of the bumper

That's about it so far.