R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Rapid Roy
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Benzoil
Hi all,

I am trying to find the best race setup for my 2004 r40 and would like to hear some of your opinions. The track I run is tight and technical, and has average to high grip (they are putting sugar on the track as I write to increase grip for tommorow!). I am having problems with slow weight transfer in general (the car isn't nervous enough) and especially on turns 4 and 5 in the attached pic. My current set up (for average grip) is also lacking rear grip so I can't get on the throttle early enough to put up serious lap times. I am running:

fr: 37 shore, 50,000 diff, red serpent springs fully inclined, 50000 oil all round , 2 deg camber, 1 deg toe out, as for castor I have 3mm spacing in fr of hingepins

rr: 37 shore, 10000 diff, stock black springs fully inclined, 2.5 camber, 1.5 deg toe in

Any ideas to make this car a winner tommorow?

You seem to have 2 seperate handeling problems. Not enough steering response or turn in and not enough rear traction when accelerating out of the turns.

For better steering response go to 0 degrees toe in or even 1 degree toe out. Next thing to do is to soften or remove the rear sway bar or stiffen the front sway bar. I am assuming that you are using the same shock oil and piston all around. You can also use softer springs in the rear. I use the silver myself.

Some of the above things will also help with the on power rear traction but the most probable cause is that your rear diff is too tight. Try taking all but a bit of the oil out of it and give it a try. You could also go to a heavier diff oil up front.

Do one adjustment at a time and see if it helps. There was also an excellent tuning guide posted in this thread a ways back. It was lifted from the Serpent site and is a chart that tells you what the change first then second and so on for any handeling problems.