R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R/C Tech LIVE at the 2005 Reedy Race of Champions @ Tamiya USA
Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Soviet
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnbull
Thirty pages of discussion on the Reedy Race. Most of it by American (U.S.) citizens.

Most of it also stabbing U.S. products. The sour grapes in these pages has been amazing.

But just look at the results. 2 out of 3 classes were won by cars designed and manufactured by U.S. companies - Losi and AE, and all 3 classes were won using electronic speedos manufactured in U.S.A. - Novak.

I am not an American citizen, and I respect peoples' opinions, but I am amazed at some contributors continuous efforts at putting your own country's excellent products down.

The United States was once a proud nation, unless my history books too have it wrong. But you guys are not doing it much proud continually belittling your own products.

Ya know John...you've made an interesting observation.

It actually could take a while to touch on all the points, not to mention end up in a huge political argument, but I have a couple reasons why this seems so.

Firstly, the current world situation makes America look like some sort of badguy or world bully, when we are not. However since the war, etc. is unpopular with the more left-leaning press, the daily news in America is almost presented as if all the worlds problems are our fault.

Because of this constant day-in and day out brainwashing via the media, alot of Americans, especially the younger ones feel badly or indifferent about their own country.

Personally, I miss the days of the Cold War, if only because things were so much simpler then. You basically had the USA/NATO vs. the Soviets/Warsaw Pact. Since there were two Superpowers, we pretty much kept everything in check and the world was easier to understand.

Now the USA is the lone Global Superpower and alot of folks don't care for us too much, either out of genuine hatred or simple jealousy (France). Yet us Americans are a humble people even though we're #1. Although now we don't seem to beat the collective Patriotic drum like during the cold war, because other nations would see it as a display of ardent nationalism and just plain rude.

Either way, America is still and will always be one of the strongest, proudest and hardest working nations on this Earth, we just can't brag about it as much anymore.

Whew...that took a minute to crank out....