R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Championship Series First Timer
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Hawk6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Tamiya Championship Series First Timer

I want to run in the 2006 Tamiya Championship Series at at least one track next year and want some advice on how to do it. I'm not a rookie to R/C anymore, but I am a rookie to organized racing, having run only 10 weeks or so during the winter with electric stadium trucks on carpet.

I basically want to have a goal in this hobby, rather than just wander from stadium trucks to touring cars to monster trucks, etc. And, from what I've seen and heard about the Tamiya Championship Series, that's what I picked for my goal. I'm not expecting to win, but want to be competitive.

My 10 year old son will also be running, so my plan is to finish a TL-01 for him to run in the Spec class. I am currently planning on running a TB-02 in the GT-3 class (mainly so he and I are in separate classes so I can watch him and vice versa).

So, here's my question: Assuming I already have a decent radio (JR FM synthesized) , and a peak charger (Duratrax Intelli-peak), AND I want to limit myself to say $350, how should I spend my money?

TB-02 kit, $170, so I have $180 left, should I spend it on: hop-ups, better batteries (I have stick pack 3,000 mAh packs, are they too heavy, will I only need 1,900 mAh or 2,400 mAh?, not good enough?,...), a higher end charger?, a high end speed control?, a selection of tires and inserts?, a variety of springs, shocks with different weight oil?,....

Let me know how you'd spend the $180, and/or if you'd go with a TA instead of a TB (and why). Thanks in advance for any advice.