R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Carpet Off-road Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 09:05 AM
staiguy
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

@billy - damn I wish my tracks carpet looked that nice. They definitely need to plan a re-carpet. I heard from the owner, have you seen the prices of new carpet?! Even heard from ppl here that the price is way high.

@river - like what billy said confidence really is key (like most racing but REALLY important for wall rides). On a long wall ride, with a 2wd buggy, throttle = staying straight and dropping the throttle = the back end dropping out. Bad throttle inputs with not enough power will usually cause you bobble up and down in a zig zag line. Each wall ride/track is setup different for different lines. Last long wall ride track people made 2-ish lines. One fast and low line that you are barely affected by the wall ride, BUT its a harder transition for the 90 degree turn with a big chance of side roll. If you went higher and arc your line (throttle up about half way, let the throttle out a little to bring the buggy down to exit) it was a smoother transition to 45 degree exit. Too high and you got airborne. Think of that talladega nights scene where ricky bobby gets airborne - generally not good and a confidence killer. Lots of the 17.5 guys asked around, do you full throttle through the wall ride? 21.5 is "slow" enough you can full throttle through it all with little problems. Once I went too high and my 17.5 buggy fell like 10 feet on its side. Luckily nothing broke but a real shake up before the main race.

A short wall narrow wall ride I find a little easier. There is a lot of braking action naturally due to tires and going up hill. You may not need to brake or brake very little. Find a "braking point" where you lift off the throttle and you can coast past the corner apex and throttle out the way down. Too early and you are likely to roll near the top. Any steering input is usually at the top of the corner apex or on the ground after the wall ride. I tend to let the car settle before big steering inputs/corrections. The plus of this technique is I DO NOT YIELD during these more technical parts. I dont care if you are faster or gunning me down IN THAT SECTION, after my car settles I will let them pass in a safer, for me, area no problems. I generally take the corner wider so they can pass by faster and easier. Usually the more impatient drivers will either crash behind me or get kinda mad on ONLY the stand. "Move stai!, im trying to get by!" Sometimes I get an unlucky spot in the buggy train and I just cant let people pass until 5 seconds later due to rhythm sections, tight areas or a straightaway. I generally see it as they are the better drivers and can more easily move around me rather than me drive around them and crash out causing more problems.