R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix A800/A800R
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 02:41 PM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeffC
"the Awesomatix car is harder to build"
The fit and finish is impeccable. Parts go together just perfectly. Pay attention to the manual. Watch videos from the team drivers. The design is very unique in a lot of ways, so you can't just always assemble by your intuition until you're used to the car. With all TCs, as the design emphasizes lower and centralized CG, and improving flex and durability, they sacrifice ease of maintenance and workability. Changing lower arm shims on an Awesomatix is kind of a pain in the ass. Changing lower arm length is a multi-hour project. But it's not like you're doing those things every run or every day.

"the Awesomatix car...has less support, harder to get spares, harder to dial in on the track, etc."
I disagree completely but I guess it depends where you're located. You can easily get parts online in the US from Side Piece, Dollar Hobbyz, Team EAM, and Michaels. There are Awesomatix drivers everywhere, and setup info is well shared and posted online. AwesomatixUSA has a Google Drive shared folder with setups. There's an active Discord group. And this forum is very helpful.

Every manufacture has had some element on a car that sucked or was a weak link at one point or another but all of the good manufactures fixed it and moved on.

If nothing else, I'd say it's worth trying the Awesomatix to see if you like the design and how it drives. Finding a car that matches your driving and that you enjoy working on is more important.
Can't speak to the A800 range, but my A12 didn't go together perfectly. The damper wouldn't fit into the chassis cavity without sanding it down. No brand is immune to tolerances.