R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 21.5 and 17.5 new stock classes?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 07:26 AM
Psf
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Interesting thread! I would agree that I would rather see less classes. Less heats overall would be ideal to make for shorter programs. Now there are usually so many that I choose not to race pretty often just based on the fact that it takes so long. There is also a better chance of finding closer competition with more people in one class. I would rather be in a battle for 5th in a B Main with everyone in that class than checked out winning an A with less competition. Splitting people up makes for less of a chance to find those battles.

Since going to 21.5 at our track (Burlington), it pretty much killed what was the stock (17.5) class. Now it is mod and there were only a few drivers in it the last times I raced. So instead of running that with a 17.5 and likely driving around in the back, I ran 21.5. I ended having an awesome battle for the top 3 (see video below) but I would have rather had the guys that ran mod in the same class to compare to.

That said, I have had a blast with the 21.5 car but speed/power has been borderline to make the jumps. In the video below you can see they kind of notched out the landing of the jump in the middle so we could case it with less punishment. While I could make the other two jumps from pretty far inside on this night, I came back a few weeks later and couldn't unless I went way outside. So with the right track, they can be a lot of fun. We will see what the next layout brings. I'd like to run something faster but not if it is only against 3 guys that probably can't keep up with.

But more classes = more entries = more money for the track so that is probably the most important. Gotta have a place to race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQH7B5Y3MY&t=18s