R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best Website Design RC companies
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 PM
scoobydo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eforer
designing for some of the smaller RC companies presents a lot of interesting challenges that need to be considered when critiquing some of these sites. Although I am educated as a commercial illustrator, (which automatically makes me despise contemporary GD!) I have done some quickie pro bono design stuff for some RC businesses.

In my case, it was necessary to create a site that is easy for the company owner or team manager to edit and add info too. Assuming that these people may not have a design background and or good taste, you need to create a pretty innocuous template that is easy for the sites proprietor to edit and hard for them to screw up technically and visually. Chances are they are going to start plugging in the default html serifed type face whereever they can fit it. This eliminates a lot of oppertunity to do something edgy.

Furthermore, through years of low budget design, a surprisingly ugly lexicon of RC visuals has come to make up the "professional" looking rc logo, website etc. Would I ever outline a lousy looking roaylty free typeface, no but thats what the consumer has come to recognoize as appropriate for RC companies. The companies themselves are sensitive to this as well, you can't really present them with something that isn't borderline obnoxious because neither they nor the cusomer will recognoize it as being part of the racing world. Its unfortunate but true.
Designing for the company in mind certainly poses design issues as far as future editing, however most of the companies we are talking about are hardly small in stature and can certainly afford a webmaster.
The smaller companies or the local matcher I can understand. But AE and Losi? They are the biggest RC companies in the states and they have low grade websites compared to the likes of Xray, Tamiya, HPI, etc....
How can you despise contemporary GD? You Illustrators are taking some of the jobs away from them! However, I think there is a big difference between Graphic Design and Desktop Publishing. I think contemporary has leaned more towards the Desktop stuff and away from the true Form, Function and More Importantly CONCEPT that true GD should be.
But I do get your point about how companies & trends tend to dictate the direction of design and limit it in someway.
BTW I also like the Xray Site!