R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Radiomaster MT12
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 02:31 PM
gigaplex
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slappomatt
If you race 2 channel RC then EdgeTX really doesn't do anything for you and in fact it has a decent learning curve to it. a $130 radio with $16 RX with class leading latency does do something for you though. If you do other surface things besides race. like any kind of crawler or scale off road stuff, boats, subs warships tanks ETC then 10 buttons 16 channels and unlimited mixing power is something you need and the market really sucks at that. My Sanwa MT-4 has 4 inputs and a button or two and like 6 mixes available. you can mix anything you want with EdgeTx. the power in unheard of in the surface world. I have been begging for a opentx ( now edgetx) surface radio for years. This radio competes with literally ANY surface radio on the market right now and beats most of them. and at an entry level price.

And yes as RC10Nick above is discovering the Drone world tech moves at a blinding pace. your drone is obsolete in 6 months. these radios are so actively maintained there is monthly firmware updates if you want to stay on the bleeding edge of software.

Edit: I have always used TBS's Crossfire for long range in a openTX radio for air stuff, I havent used any of the multi mode modules before. they are compatable with 70+ radio protocols but most are Chinese brand air stuff. it looks like the only surface RX its compatible with that I recognized is a older futaba format before FAST or whatever they are using now. but you really want the ELRS version.

keep in mind ELRS and EDGETX being open source are both quite advanced. For example ELRS RX have wifi and can be setup to connect to your homes wifi network automatically. you can update the firmware on all your RX over your wifi network without even connecting to them. To bind the RX you setup a bind "phrase" (basically a password) that you set in your TX and all your RX. then they will all be bound all the time. you can get a new TX and just put your password in it and all your old stuff will be instantly bound to the new tx without having to rebind it all to your new radio. this is NOT for the tech unsavy. you will have a bad time. Joshua Bardwell one of the biggest drone youtubers has several 30-45 videos just on binding ELRS.

In most Surface radios you have a bind and setup for every model. In EdgeTx you have everything bound to your TX module and they are all always active. you basically have settings presets instead of binding presets. you can have one setup for all models that are the same, and they all just work. no model change required. this is more useful in the drone world where basically all drones use the same basic radio setup and individual tuning is done on the drone hardware.
Some of that binding stuff sounds horrible. What happens if two radios happen to have the same password at the same time? What if you're running 2 classes and change model to the second car while the first one is still turned on? I'd want a guarantee that there will be no conflicts and that the other car won't start responding while I'm racing one of them.