R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekno RC SCT410 2.0
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2023, 11:44 AM
smirkracing
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
The biggest negatives to the one piece motor mount are complete motor access, pinion gear options, and gearing changes. Removing the motor isn't hard to do, it's just more involved. Space constraints force a limited number of pinion gear options on the mount. We wanted to limit the amount of mounts to two, so we have a low range (12-16) and a high range (16-20). Changing the gearing by changing the pinion is again, not hard to do, it's just more involved.

The positives to the one piece design are several. It's cheaper to manufacture, which allows us to price the kit lower. It prevents customers who are less experienced from setting the gear mesh too loose and possibly stripping out spur gears. On the flip side it also prevents customers from setting the mesh too tight and having the motor/esc run hot. It easily allows for a sealed driveline, which customers have been requesting for some time now. It's 2 less screws to have loosen during a run, so it's actually more secure than our adjustable mount.

To remove the motor or change to a different tooth count pinion I like to take off the center diff top plate and the pinion gear access cover. Then I remove the center diff. Then I remove the motor mount from the chassis along with the center brace. If you're simply changing the pinion to one with the same tooth count you can just remove the access cover.

Matthew_Armeni Thanks for this detailed reply. Regardless of whether people like this or not, it is great to hear the trade-offs and considerations straight from the source! Thanks for sharing.